In 2022, The Wynantskill Union Free School District proposed a Capital Project with the main purpose of replacing the roof and installing air-conditioning units for Gardner-Dickinson School. Please see updates below:
- NYSED approved the proposed plans on 1/26/24. The project is now in full swing and on track to be completed on schedule.
- Contracts have already been awarded to AW Ferrell, Trian, and TBS. They are procuring materials and getting ready for a Spring start.
- Architect, Ed Anker and Schoolhouse Construction Servies will be soliciting 2 bids for contractors: a General Contractor and an Electrical Contractor
- Drawing and specifications will be issued for Bid on 2/14
- Pre-Bid Walkthrough will take place on 2/21
- Bids due 3/14 at 3pm in the cafeteria
- March 21st BOE meeting award Bids
CJ Goodwin from SchoolHouse Construction and Ed Anker updated the Board of Education regarding the roof capital project at the November 2023 board meeting:
● NYSED is reviewing the project as of yesterday, which means one step further to getting the project
● They will be asking the board to authorize Dr. Yodis to approve contracts to get contractors rolling in
their respective roles.
● They explain there’s a benefit to being able to pick the contractors to work with as they’ve worked
with them before and know how well they work together.
● Mr. Goodwin mentions that he’s hoping to get started sooner than anticipated, perhaps during spring
break to expedite the process and alleviate any deadline pressure.
● Weekly or bi-weekly meetings will be held during the construction with administration to keep them
updated on progress of the project.
The Board of Education approved the proposal from SchoolHouse Construction Services to award state contracts to
Farrell Roofing, Stark Tech and Trane Technologies at the November 2023 BOE meeting
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education accepts the results of the December 13, 2022 district voting as follows:
PROPOSITION #1– Pass – 111 YES / 21 NO
“Shall the Board of Education of the Wynantskill Union Free School District be authorized to: (1) reconstruct, renovate, and construct improvements to the Gardner-Dickinson School building and facilities, undertake site work. and acquire original furnishings, equipment, machinery, apparatus, and appurtenances required for the purpose for which such building is be used and pay costs incidental thereto, at a maximum cost of $4,977,950; (2) expend $1,334,728 from the District’s 2019 Capital Reserve Fund monies to pay a portion of the costs of such purpose; (3) levy the necessary tax therefore, to be levied and collected in annual installments in such years and in such amounts as may be determined by the Board of Education taking into account state aid and the amounts expended from the Capital Reserve Fund; and (4) in anticipation of the collection of such tax, issue bonds and notes of the School District at one time or from time to time in the principal amount not to exceed $ 3,643,222, and the levy of a tax to pay the principal of and interest on said obligations when due?”
The Wynantskill UFSD is planning its next capital improvement project which will include a full replacement of the school’s roof as well as installing air conditioning units to regulate temperatures in all of our students’ classrooms. Replacement of deteriorating sections of sidewalks and pavement is also included in the project’s scope.
Community members will vote on the proposed $4,977,950 Capital Project on Tuesday, December 13th from 12:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
The $4,977,950 project would be paid for using $1,334,728 from the District’s 2019 Capital Reserve Fund (saved for this purpose), and by financing the remaining $ 3,643,222.
This strategic financing will occur at a time when the district finishes paying off debt from a previous capital project. The new capital project stabilizes the budget as new debt and building aid replace the previous debt and building aid plan.
The district’s financial advisors have projected that there will be no change to the district’s tax levy due to the new debt and reimbursement of building aid from NY state (about $0.77 for every $1.00).
The projected date of completion for this capital project would be late in 2024.
The community will have a chance to ask questions about the project at the regular Board of Education meeting scheduled for November 17th, 2022 at 7 pm in the Gardner-Dickinson library.