NOTE: For June 2023 High School Regents bus schedules, click here.
Michael Goyer, Transportation Director
518-283-4600 ext. 134
Bus Drivers and Routes
Requests for Non-Public Transportation
State Education Law requires parents or guardians of a child residing within Wynantskill UFSD to submit a written request to the district for transportation to a non-public school.
The deadline is April 1 (or for those moving into the district, within 30 days after establishing residency within the district). Late requests shall be granted only when a reasonable explanation is provided for the delay and there is no additional cost to the district. The Board of Education will decide whether the explanation is reasonable. If a student is denied transportation to a non-public school, the parent or guardian may appeal to the Commissioner of Education if a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached with the Superintendent or Board of Education.
Forms are available on our Forms webpage.
Emergency closings, delays, and early dismissal
2022-23 EMERGENCY CLOSING/DELAYS/EARLY DISMISSAL:
With winter weather upon us, here is information about our school closing, delay, and early dismissal procedures.
Communication- School closings, delayed openings, and early dismissals resulting from weather conditions or other situations will be provided to the media and posted on the Wynantskill UFSD website, email, and social media sites: Facebook and Twitter.
Decision-making Factors- Many different factors are considered when making the decision. During the night, when a storm is in the weather forecast, our transportation director:
- Continuously monitors the weather from the National Weather Service paying close attention to the forecasted duration of the storm as well as the severity
- Monitors road conditions reported by the N.Y.S. Department of Transportation as well as local town and county transportation departments
- Drives the roads throughout the district paying close attention to neighborhood roads, reduced visibility of bus stops as a result of snow banks, etc.
- Works in cooperation with our buildings and grounds staff to ensure that we can have our parking lot and sidewalks plowed in time
- Communicates with surrounding school districts to understand weather conditions and the impact on those districts
- Makes recommendations to the Superintendent who typically makes the decision by 5 a.m.
Delayed Schedule- Delayed openings mean ALL schedules will be delayed either one or two hours (This includes all high school, private, and special needs facilities). Most weather delays will be delayed 2 hours. Bus pickups will be approximately one or two hours later than the scheduled time depending on the specified delay (one or two hour delay). Please continue to monitor all opening delays, as they could turn into school closings, depending on the weather.
School Closing –School closings will follow the typical process. Please see the district website, social media, email notification or your local television station for information. The School Closings Network which we notify, carries the most up to date information.
Early Dismissal- When the weather becomes severely inclement during the day and driving conditions become unsafe, or when a state of emergency due to road conditions is declared by the state or county law enforcement, the district may consider an early dismissal. Early dismissal decisions take into consideration the magnitude of the transportation operations and the number of buses required to transport students home and, in many instances, the possibility that young students may be going home to an empty house. Typically, the decision is made by mid-morning for an early afternoon dismissal. Stay tuned to news about early dismissals through the methods discussed above.
School Bus Safety
To help ensure student safety:
- All students are assigned seats.
- All students must be seated at all times while on the bus.
- Eating or drinking on school buses is prohibited.
- Loud talking or noise making is prohibited.
- School rules should be followed while riding the bus.