Distinguishing Features of the Class:
This is routine and repetitive manual work calling for the efficient and economical performance of building cleaning and occasional minor maintenance tasks. Cleaning tasks are performed according to a well-established procedure, and maintenance tasks are performed under direct supervision or according to specific instructions. Supervision is received from a custodian or other superior. Supervision over the work of others is not a responsibility of employees in this class.
A Custodial worker also does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities:
- Sweeps and mops floors and stairs.
- Dusts desks, woodwork, furniture and other equipment; Washes windows, walls, blackboards, sinks and other fixtures; Polishes furniture and metal furnishing.
- Empties waste baskets, collects and disposes of rubbish; Clears snow and ice from walks.
- May mow lawns, trim shrubs, rake leaves and perform a variety of other grounds keeping tasks as assigned.
- Delivers packages and messages.
- Places and removes traffic safety signs.
- Arranges chairs, tables, and other equipment for special use of school building; Repairs window shades, replaces light bulbs, soap and towels.
- Paints rooms and equipment and assists in making minor plumbing, carpentry and electrical repairs.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
Working knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies and equipment; ability to follow simple oral and written instructions; willingness to perform routine cleaning and other manual tasks; ability to get along well with others; thoroughness; dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.